The Archive of the Magazine for the George Mason University Community

Housing Advocate Alumna to Bike Across U.S.

By Jason Jacks on January 19, 2011

Bebhinn Lynch

I just hope that Bebhinn Lynch, BA Global Affairs ’10, has a very soft bicycle seat.

That’s because, Lynch, along with about 40 other people, will take part in a cross-country bike trip this summer to raise awareness for the need for more affordable housing in the United States.

The ride is being organized by a group out of Philadelphia called Bike & Build, which raises funds to build homes for the needy.

“I decided to join Bike & Build for many reasons. The first is that I have been so preoccupied with myself over the years, that I haven’t taken enough time to volunteer or help in my community,” says this Richmond native. “The second reason is that I am just not a person to stay in one place. Whoever said you had to settle down after graduation? I like being on the move and experiencing wild things, so this is simply my next big adventure.”

Though a start date has not yet been set, Lynch and her group’s pedal-quest will take them from Virginia Beach, Va., to Cannon Beach, Ore, a journey of 3,400 miles. Along the way, they will give presentations on housing issues, work on construction sites for new homes, and attempt to raise at least $100,000 for their cause.

Lynch is currently living in Seoul, South Korea, a move she made, she explains on the Bike & Build website, because she wanted to leave her “comfort zone.” When she returns to Richmond this winter, she will start training for the trip by biking daily and by building homes for Habitat for Humanity.

“I’m really going to be immersed in this project for the next five months,” she says. “In the end, I know all of this work will change the lives of many families and that’s worth it.”

Click here to learn how to support Lynch as she pedals across the country.

1 Comment »

1. Bebhinn is a one-of-a-kind person. Ever since we met in kindergarten, she has been the life of the party; her energy and enthusiasm for life are absolutely contagious. All of us in Richmond couldn’t be more proud of her because, contrary to what she says, she has dedicated her life to helping others. Whether it is teaching English, building homes, or just being there for a friend in need, Bebhinn has always brought hope, knowledge and friendship to everyone she has come in contact with. I am planning on making a donation to her new cause, and hope that you do too, because the positive effect that she will have on this journey across the country will be worth every penny.

Comment by Amy K. — January 21, 2011 @ 12:59 am