The Archive of the Magazine for the George Mason University Community

Alumni Association Establishes the Golden Quill Society

By Mason Spirit contributor on May 23, 2011

The newest alumni and Golden Quill Society member with Alumni Association president Tennille Parker.

The Mason Alumni Association inducted the first class of members into the new Golden Quill Society on Wednesday, May 18. The society, which the association formed earlier this year, recognizes outstanding graduates prior to graduation and cultivates their leadership within the alumni community after graduation.

“Our student leaders make a tremendous impact on the life of the university through their service,” says Chris Clark-Talley, associate vice president for alumni affairs.

Clark-Talley adds: “The Golden Quill Society will allow the Alumni Association to recognize their accomplishments and contributions as students and create opportunities for them to continue to make a difference in the lives of both students and alumni after graduation. We are excited to launch this new initiative with this outstanding group of leaders.”

Members of the society will be offered opportunities to build leadership skills and to network with their peers. In addition, members will be listed as resources for Mason school, college and alumni chapters seeking to fill leadership roles.

“I am looking forward to giving back to a university that has given me so many new experiences, friendships and memories,” says Golden Quill inductee Sarah Thornton, a criminology, law and society major. “I hope to build a partnership with the alumni office so I can help current students become successful alumni upon graduation.”

Student Government President D’Leon Barnett, an integrative studies major with a concentration in public and community engagement, is also hopeful about his new role as an alumnus and Golden Quill member.

“I look forward to the consistent engagement with student leaders, especially the ones that are serving in similar leadership positions as mine during my term at Mason,” he says. “I want to give back to the Mason community because so much has been given to me over my time here.”

The 16 graduates inducted at the ceremony have collectively amassed an impressive list of activities and scholarly accomplishments. Sixty-six percent are on the Dean’s List; three are Student Government representatives; four are members of the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society; four are National Society for Collegiate Scholars honorees; and three are Mason Ambassadors. Members of the inductee group belong to more than 50 student organizations.

For more information about the Golden Quill Society, visit the Golden Quill Society webpage.

–Beth Johnson

This article appeared in a slightly different form in the Mason Gazette online.

No Comments Yet »